First Polynesian Morning.

Honolulu, Hi Jan.18.2016 – Waikiki

I’m less of  a demon today and more like a grateful and joyous human being. I got a head start and left the house before the sun came up to make my way to a beach. After walking around in the dark for 20 minutes too long on what was supposed to only be an 11 minute trip, I cursed my GPS and stopped a local who was walking her dog to ask where Waikiki beach was… she looked confused and said, “Is that the actual name of a beach?”

Screen Shot 2016-01-18 at 9.57.09 AM

I knew she was a local because she had a dog, so I just said, “hmm.. how about any beach at all?” she ended up walking with me along the strip we were on, through a tree filled area, and all the way to the beach.

She gave me a warm hug goodbye, and welcomed me to the island after gaining knowledge that it was my first day and that I was here all alone.

Screen Shot 2016-01-18 at 9.51.40 AM

I told this story to my family when they checked to see if I was having any fun yet. My grandmother, who is a skeptic and thinks I will be raped and beaten any day now, was almost amazed that it is more likely to run into a good person than a bad one even when one leaves their bubble. I hope she leaves her own before the good lawd takes her.

Screen Shot 2016-01-18 at 9.56.03 AM

I went onto this little dock with the other obvious tourists and watched the surfers paddle their way out to what looked like ginormous waves to me, but were probably baby waves to them. I had never been to a place where the waves began in the middle of the ocean and crashed far away from the shore. So to see it up close was pretty awesome, also the ocean felt like a warm bath so that’s pretty nice. I arrived a little after 6am as the sun began to finally lighten the sky and stayed until 10am. Now my body is completely sore from the walk, my back is aching, but I want to go out again.

Screen Shot 2016-01-18 at 10.49.06 AM

These were breakfast this morning when I stopped into a 7-11. The flight attendants passed them out as a final snack along with free cocktails yesterday, and I’ve been addicted ever since so they might be lunch and dinner as well.

Before arriving, I didn’t book any tours or plan anything I wanted to do so I’m sort of just playing it by ear. I have been loving the island so far, and it does feel like home.

In fact, I’ve been on the phone all morning planning the next trip here.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.